Mr. X is a picky eater, but he adores jicama. We were having pork chops, and I like to serve apples with that. Since it’s so hot out I came up with this fun slaw!
- 1 large jicama, about 1½ lbs.
- 3 red apples (Not Red Delicious- Jazz, Gala, Rome, or Pink Lady are good.)
- ½ pint blueberries
- ½ red onion, diced
- Juice from 2 medium limes
- 3 T. honey
- ½ c. oil (canola or light olive oil)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. powdered ginger (optional)
- ½ tsp. chili powder (optional)
- Peel the jicama and wash the apples and blueberries.
- Julienne the jicama and apple including peel. Discard the apple cores and stems. Place jicama, apple, blueberries, and onion in a large bowl. Toss with honey lime vinaigrette, serve cold.
- Place ingredients in glass jar with lid, food processor, or blender and shake well or process until well blended.
- Note: Make this salad Whole30 compliant by using balsamic vinaigrette or skipping the honey.
I used a mandolin to quickly cut up the apple and jicama into uniform pieces but a knife will work just as well. Try to keep the apple peel intact on the long pieces for a beautiful red, white, and blue presentation. Helpful hint: toss the apple into some water with a little lemon juice to keep it from turning brown while you work.
The dressing is so easy and goes well with any fruity salad. It would be wonderful with mixed berries, and it’s amazing on salads and chicken, too. For the jicama slaw, I added ginger and chili powder (just a touch). I make my dressings in a mason jar using my immersion blender, but you can just put the top on the jar and shake it up to mix.
So simple. So delicious.
I love side dishes that require no cooking and it’s fun to take something a little different to a barbecue, isn’t it? This is mayonnaise and dairy free so it’s okay if it sits on the picnic table while everyone eats.
This is paleo and gluten free, and you can make it Whole30 compliant by making a simple lime vinaigrette without the honey, or use a balsamic vinaigrette.